USN Lower School Technology!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Welcome to Lower School Open House!

I welcome visitors to the Lower School Technology for Learning Lab today. I see all 352 Lower School students in the lab at least once a week for instruction and activities related to necessary computer skills, linked to the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) "NETS" (National Educational Technology Standards for Students. ISTE is the nationally recognized organization of educators and educational technologists the world looks to for standards, leadership, and resources for technology in education.

This blog is one of many that I maintain, and I have done quite a bit of presenting to teachers on both local and national levels, hoping to share what I've learned about technology with other teachers.

My teaching philosophy can be seen at my online teaching portfolio, but I'll reprint it here for your easy access:

I believe that every child has the right to learn to his or her own optimal potential in a safe, welcoming, and nurturing educational space. I believe that as long as there is life, there is learning.

I believe that human beings are on this fine green globe to help one another. I agree with Henry James, who when asked what the three most important things about being a human being were replied, "The first is to be kind, the second is to be kind, and the third? To be kind."

I know that each child is unique. I know that there is no single pedagogical practice that is the be-all an end-all to teaching's effectiveness. A universe of philosophies and styles exists, and a teacher may succeed best by awareness of as many of these as possible, and by applying them within the framework of an individual child's learning style and abilities. I believe that high expectations, gently and consistently applied, yield great learning rewards.

I think that the teacher who can transcend society's failure to grant professional status to her/his calling and who continually learns toward effectively teaching can do more good in one academic year than most highly remunerated professionals can accomplish in a career.

I believe that I am blessed to be able to share in motivating the learning lives of children, and I hold that charge in utmost regard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home